Solid and Lucrative
Self storage is an easy choice when it comes to building a solid, lucrative business.
Self storage is a huge category.
- In the U.S., self storage represents over $27.2 billion in sales per year.
- There is 2.5 billion square feet of self storage space in America, an area more than 3 times the size of Manhattan Island.
- The average size of a primary self storage facility is 56,900 square feet.
Self storage has broad appeal.
- About one in 10 households currently rent a self-storage space
- There is 7.3 sq. ft. of self storage space for every man, woman and child in the nation;
Self storage is a moneymaker without the headaches.
- Over 40% of commercial customers rent more than two years.
- The average customer visits his unit once a month.
Self storage has diverse renter demographics.
- 68% of renters are homeowners.
- A household income of over $125,000 is the number one renter group, however self storage usage is relatively even across income groups.
Self storage fun facts:
- The number one reason people rent self storage is no room for items at residence.
- The number one way a renter finds a self-storage facility is by driving by.
- The most commonly rented unit is 10′ x 10′.
- The most commonly stored item is indoor furniture.
- The most common type of unit rented has an exterior entrance with drive-up parking.
Sources: MiniCo, SSA